Asphaltum Progress: Collodion on Found Objects
Two days ago, I coated many of the found objects with Asphaltum, after failing with the black spray paint. (Bad chemical reaction). Again, my friend Gayle Stevens recommended the Asphaltum as a foundation base, to accept the collodion. Today, I gave it a shot, and we have our first image. I feel like I’m back in the 1800’s, and cheering wildly, for a barely noticeable cryptic photographic image. But progress is progress. It was a good day.
The found objects are painted with Asphaltum, and they take about two days to dry. It goes on very thick, like cold motor oil in January. And pitch black it is. Then, after drying, I pour the collodion onto the found object, and then build a custom “tray” for the Silver Bath out of Saran Wrap, to use the least amount of (expensive) silver. I’m afraid to reuse the silver, for fear it’s now contaminated after touching the found objects. Then I put the sensitized piece into the easel of the Large Camera downstairs, and pop the Profoto Flash. (2400 w/s). Then it’s developed and fixed normally.
Not sure where this is headed, but today, it’s very exciting.